This Page

has been moved to new address

"Don't Despise the Small Things"

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Faith's Firm Foundation: "Don't Despise the Small Things"

Monday, September 28, 2009

"Don't Despise the Small Things"

I’ve been thinking about the small things in life.

A lifetime is made up of millions and millions of .....minutes, small choices, little acts.
I want to encourage you: “Don’t despise the small things:”
The little moments and small efforts you make every day towards order and discipline in your home and life, for instance.
This got me to thinking about all the things you can do in 10 minutes (or less!) Years ago when I was a new bride, I would put off loading the dishwasher because it was such a "big" job. Then one day I timed myself: it took me less than 10 minutes! Time yourself! You can do each of these things in under 10 minutes: Unload the dishwasher, clean out a sock drawer, wipe down the handles on the kitchen cabinets and drawers, straighten the linen closet, pick up the family room, call a friend and encourage her (It truly is possible to keep it to 10 minutes, but if you’re like me, this one’s a little more challenging:), read a story to a child, write a note to an elderly person (like Grandma!), write a thank you note, straighten up your laundry room and wipe down the appliances, clean the top of the stove and inside of the microwave, memorize a Bible verse, pray for your city, state and country.....I’m sure you can think of many more. Today I tried to see what I could get done in the 1 minute waiting for my cup of coffee to reheat! You'd be amazed!

Do not despise the small things:
The small words: Thank you, I’m sorry, please forgive me, I love you.
The “little” loving touches you give to your family: The little hand on the shoulder that says “I’m here for you”, the little squeeze of the hand that says “I Care”, the look into someone’s eyes with a tender smile of encouragement.

Do not despise the “small” act of faithful training of your children that nobody sees:
Following through for the umpteenth time consistently disciplining your toddler.
Taking your little child back to the store to ask forgiveness of the store owner and confess to stealing that “little” thing and making her return it.
The little words of truth that you lovingly tell to your child every time you change their diaper, get them dressed, etc. (God made you, He loves you, I love you, you are fearfully and wonderfully made—look at your toes and fingers and nose and eyes, He’s going to do great things through your life).
The minute of prayer before you hop out of bed in the morning. Every minute you spend in the Word and in prayer in the morning. The minute you take to teach your child a Bible verse.
The few minutes of prayer with your children before every meal, before bed, when they disobey.
The extra minute it takes to show your child from the Bible the “Why” and not just the “What” when training them in God's ways.
The time you take to read the Bible verse to them when they’ve disobeyed you and need repentance and restoration, and which shows them how God views their sin.

The perpetual calendar in my room says, “A little thing is a little thing, but faithfulness in a little thing becomes a great thing." Plato
The Bible says, "He who is faithful in little will be faithful in much!"

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Faithful Bloggers said...

Oh wow. This was such a relevant post to me and truly timely. I personally spend so much time often just looking at what lies ahead instead of enjoying the small things.

This post blessed me!

-Kelly

September 29, 2009 at 6:24 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Hi Kelly! I'm so glad you visited and that you were blessed! I agree with you--we need to notice and enjoy the little blessings God sends our way every day!
Thanks for your comment:)
Wendy

September 29, 2009 at 12:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Hi and welcome to my blog! Come on in and make yourself at home! I love connecting. Comments are the way to do that! Tell me about yourself. Please connect back, ok?
Blessings,
Wendy
If you would rather, my email address is faithsfirmfoundation(at)embarqmail(dot)com

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home