This Page

has been moved to new address

Hospitality: Interview with Lynn

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Faith's Firm Foundation: Hospitality: Interview with Lynn

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Hospitality: Interview with Lynn

     It's Wednesday, and I'm continuing with the theme of how to practice Hospitality.  If you are a mom of many, you'll especially want to "listen up" today as I'll be interviewing Lynn, mom to 11, and a hospitality "pro."  However, we are all in for a treat.  I'm very excited to introduce you to my dear friend, who has been a Godly example to me in every area from the time the Lord graciously brought her into my life 15 years ago, and to glean some wisdom from her on a topic that we both love: hospitality.  Let's begin:

Faith's Firm Foundation:  "Are there any verses in the Bible that have guided or influenced you in showing hospitality?"
Lynn:  "Romans 12:13--"Given to hospitality."  Romans 12 was one of my first chapters that I had memorized, so I was greatly influenced by its instructions."
Romans 12:9-13--"Let love be without dissimulation. Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good. (10) Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another; (11) Not slothful in business; fervent in spirit; serving the Lord; (12) Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer; (13) Distributing to the necessity of saints; given to hospitality."

FFF:  "What are the most important things you would tell someone about practicing hospitality?"
Lynn:  "Showing warmth and excitement about your guests being in your home is more important than your home's cleanliness or how fancy your food is.  Learn some quick and easy meals to serve.  Work to have an "In-Home" store so you have ingredients and supplies on hand.  Clean your home for yourself--not for company, necessarily.  Work at maintaining an orderly home where there is a schedule of cleaning throughout the week.  Then your home will always be in fairly good order.  Then you can be impromptu to invite people over or if they happen to stop by you can ask them to stay.  Last of all, regarding hospitality:  "Just do it."  The more you do it the more comfortable it becomes."

FFF:  "What do you think is the purpose of hospitality--why is it important?"
Lynn:  "The purpose of hospitality is to show the love of Christ.  With that, hospitality brings many more personal rewards.  One major reward is learning to think of others.  We are all naturally self-centered.  Hospitality forces you to become focused on others, which is a discipline to learn.  'Hospitality may come easy to you, but not me' is just an excuse.  You can learn and it is a command from the Lord.  View your home, possessions, time as things to be used up for others.  The scratch on the table is a reminder of your grandchild being with you.  The worn-out rugs mean many people have walked through your doors.  I'm desirous to have my home wear out because of use, which involves people--eternal souls God has brought into my life."

FFF:  "How do you/did you do it with a big family--make it affordable--work out where to put people, etc."
Lynn:  "We have 11 children, 10 boys and 1 girl.  The oldest is 29 years old and the youngest is 10 years old.  All our children help in the kitchen.  My daughter was 5th born so our sons had to help.  Our sons know what it takes to make a meal--therefore they can really appreciate efforts of others showing hospitality towards them.  Teach your children how to greet people, to offer a guest something to drink (water, coffee, tea).  Teach them how to make coffee, how to set a table, how to carry on a conversation.  Crowded is OK.  People will feel included, so don't worry about a small home.  Use simple menus."

FFF:  "You mentioned rewards earlier, but what are other rewards and blessings of being hospitable? What would you say to encourage others?"
Lynn:  "The rewards are:  meeting so many people and they leave our home as 'friends.'  We love to hear how our guests became Christians and about their walk with the Lord.  These testimonies encourage our own children in their faith."

I hope you are all as blessed as I am by these encouraging words.

Lynn (on the left) Showing Hospitality

Labels: , , , , ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to hear this over and over again....thank you! Also a good reason to show hospitality is because we get a little "push" to do a few neglected cleaning jobs that only get done once in awhile...:~( Now maybe I need to go read that column on "work" that I see down below...

November 11, 2009 at 11:08 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Lisa, You are so right about the extra cleaning jobs. I like that extra motivation, too, and I love enjoying the clean house for awhile after, too. The fact is, Lisa, that the Lord has me write on things that He wants to teach me, or review with me. I need this way more than you do. I've learned so much from the interviews!
Wendy

November 11, 2009 at 11:41 PM  
Blogger S said...

Such great wisdom regarding hospitality. It seems that this is an area that wasn't passed on all that well to my generation. Or maybe it's all the reality shows that are keeping people from opening up their homes to friends.
Thank you for this.

November 12, 2009 at 11:17 AM  
Blogger vinauto said...

Hi Mrs. Gunn,

I'm so thankful the Wolf ladies sent me your link today. I've been able to read several of your posts and have been so blessed by them all. We all need the encouragement as we go along. I have felt especially spent lately and am expecting guests from Romania on Sunday who will be here for a month (at least). While I'm happy to have them as they are Peter's family, I'm also feeling quite overwhelmed under the circumstances (baby 7 due in 3 weeks). I want so much for our family to be a light to them while they are here as they are unsaved and we have been praying for them for years.

It really helped me to read some of your posts on hospitality today...just to get me in a Godly mindset and rev. up some ideas on how our hospitality can be witness to them. Please keep us in your prayers. It's Peter's niece and her husband (newly weds).

Blessings,
ChristinaF.

November 12, 2009 at 5:28 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Stacey,
I think you have touched on an important point, that this is something that is needed to be passed down from generation to generation. Our homes become very important ministry centers when we think of them in this way--teaching our children and ministering to others, the home then becomes an evangelism and disipleship center. Just being a wife and mom takes on such beautiful and great significance. And if the Lord has not blessed with children at this time, one's influence of example and the ministry of hospitality are still available. Being an example is the best way to change lives, I think.
Wendy

November 13, 2009 at 7:46 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Christina,
I welcome you and I'm so glad you came! Thank you to the Wolfs! I'm praying for you regarding these next weeks. Perhaps the wife will be a help and more of an encouragement than you expect! When we find ourselves over our heads in deep waters, I have found that the Lord always answers my heartfelt and earnest cries to Him for help! Go to Him. Be as organized as you can, and have a list of things that others can do to help you. Plan simple meals. Have your children help as much as possible--I'm sure they do. (Even give your little guy "responsibilities"! He will feel "important.") Keep the clutter to a minimum in the main areas of the house and if necessary, bag or box it up to deal with later. Pray much over your heart's attitude towards your guests. Ask God for His heart for them. Love Them. Relax. God will give you grace One Day At A Time for this visit, and the things you fear the most will never come to pass. Commit yourself and your baby and all that is weighing on you to the Lord. He will undertake and hold you in His strong and loving arms.
I am praying.
Wendy

November 13, 2009 at 7:57 AM  
Blogger vinauto said...

Great advice, Mrs. Gunn!! I thank you heartily...and for your welcome. :) Your tips are helping me organize a somewhat scattered mind. I will be praying for the right attitude and a humble servants heart as well. I sincerely appreciate your time, thoughtful tips, and prayers.

May God Bless Your Dear Family,
Christina

November 13, 2009 at 9:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful journey and experience!

November 9, 2010 at 8:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Hi and welcome to my blog! Come on in and make yourself at home! I love connecting. Comments are the way to do that! Tell me about yourself. Please connect back, ok?
Blessings,
Wendy
If you would rather, my email address is faithsfirmfoundation(at)embarqmail(dot)com

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home