This Page

has been moved to new address

Make Your Mother's Day Special--Honor Your Mother!

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Faith's Firm Foundation: Make Your Mother's Day Special--Honor Your Mother!

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Make Your Mother's Day Special--Honor Your Mother!


May 8, 1914 (97 years ago) Congress passed a law designating the 2nd Sunday of May as Mothers Day.  On May 9, 1914, President Woodrow Wilson proclaimed to the nation the first Mothers Day.  A day to show the flag in honor of those mothers whose sons had died in war.  Predating the officially proclaimed day, there was a day set aside in many areas and organizations for the purpose of healing a community torn by a civil war, and to bring honor to those who sacrificed.  Now, Mothers Day is a retailing and marketing event, a real bonanza in the world of commerce.  Mothers Day is also observed in some other countries, like Canada, today, and Mexico, tomorrow.  It is Mother's Day, not Mothers' Day, meaning that it is singular.  It is a mother that you honor, not all mothers.  Men, this is not Wife's Day, but Mother's Day.  Ladies, it's ok to receive honor from your country for your contributions to patriotism of the next generation.  It's ok to receive honor from your church fellowship for your contribution to sustaining and preserving the Church into the next generation.  It's ok to receive honor from your husband for your huge contribution in raising up your children.  But, in all that, do not lose sight of the fact that it is Mother's Day, your mother's day.  So the first admonition to each one of us is not "Honor mothers", but "Honor your mother"!  Singular.

It doesn't matter where your mother is in the mothering and raising you up process, that is to say, it doesn't matter how old you are.  As a human being created by God in your mother's womb, you should honor the mother that makes you aware of the fact that you are made in the image of God.  As a son, you should honor a mother that raises you up as a man of good character and high moral standards.  As an American citizen, you should honor the mother that raises you up as a citizen, a soldier, a patriot ready to defend and sustain your country.  As a Christian, you should honor the mother that raises you up as a soldier and workman that stands upon God's Word and perpetuates and sustains the Church of Jesus Christ until He returns.  As a daughter, you should honor the mother that raises you up as a good and Godly woman to carry on and support and help a good and Godly man to fulfill his calling, and to bring forward the next generation.  Honor your mother!

Anna Jarvis was one of the people that battled relentlessly to get an official annual Mother's Day established.  She despised the idea of commercializing it.  She believed the day should stay focused on honoring mother, your mother.  The story is told that, after the day had been officially established, she once went into a restaurant and ordered the "Mothers Day Salad" and upon receiving it she dumped it out on the floor, and walked out, to make her point.

From an editorial in a Canadian newspaper:  "Or give Anna Jarvis what she fought so hard to create--a day with no shopping, no donations, no greeting cards.  Sit down, with pen and paper, and write a love letter to your mother.  Tell her what she means to you, what you love about her.  Don't fret if words aren't really your thing--she already knows that, and will value the effort all the more.  If it's too late and the brunch is done and the shrink-wrap is already off the patio furniture, write the letter anyway.  Which do you think your mother will treasure more?"  Honor your mother!  God arranged it so that we each have a mother, so let's see what you can do to make this a Happy Mother's Day.  I lost my mother back in July, so I cannot fulfill this admonition any more, so I pass it on to each of you.

Make your Mother's Day special today.  Honor your mother!

*This was written by my husband, and will be shared with our Home Church tomorrow, Mother's Day, 2010, when he speaks to our group, which meets in our home once a month.  These thoughts were challenging to me, and I hope will be to you, as well. (I am proud of my husband, his thoughts, and his writing. Maybe he should be a regular contributor!)

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Denise said...

Amen, very beautiful.Have a blessed Mother's Day.

May 8, 2010 at 7:20 PM  
Blogger XmasDolly said...

Holy Smokes, I didn't know that! I mean how it all started. That was really interesting, and man can your husband put a point across! Is he a preacher? Yes, he should have his own blog. My husband writes lyrics/poems & he's got one. There's another man that writes inspirational things, but unfortunately his blog escapes me, but when I remember I'll be back to let you know what it is. My husband's is http://themoodymix.blogspot.com I'm very sorry about your mom, but I know she lives on in your heart as my mom does in mine. You take care. I'm very glad I met you & I'm definitely following you. I'll be back. Happy Mother's Day to you, and may the fourth commandment be known in the hearts of all God's children. Honor they father, and thy mother.

May 8, 2010 at 7:39 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Thanks! Actually, my husband surprises me every once in awhile, because I've always been the writer, not him! But I agree with you--probably because this was from his heart. I think because he lost his mom this year, (thanks for your kind comments) it is an especially poignant time for him, the "first" Mother's Day without her. He "preaches" about 6 times a year, in what we call Home Church, which is when a group from our church meets at our home, instead of with the whole church. Our church has grown too big for the community center that we meet in, and so every Sunday two "groups" from within the total number, based on geographical location, meet "off-site" somewhere--some that are larger meet in buildings, some in homes. That way our church can continue to meet in our present location, which only charges $50/week. Happy Mother's Day to you, too, and thanks for the info--I'll definitely check it out!
Blessings,
Wendy

May 8, 2010 at 8:02 PM  
Blogger Tiffany said...

Hi Mrs. Gunn,

Sorry that I have not 'followed' your blog until now! :[
Anyway I LOVE your blog it is a treasure chest of godly wisdom from a true Titus 2 woman!!!

I love what you're doing!

In Christ,
Tiffany

May 8, 2010 at 9:09 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Tiffany,
I wrote a note to you over at your photography blog, (www.tiffanyclarice.blogspot.com), but I want to say here also, thank you for your sweet and gracious words. "Not by might, nor by power, but by Your Spirit." May the Lord give you to be a Godly wife and mom someday, and in the meantime, praise the Lord for your following Him and using your gifts in your home to help your wonderful family, and to bless others.
Blessings,
Mrs. Gunn

May 8, 2010 at 11:20 PM  
Blogger Nancie said...

Hi Wendy,

This is a lovely post. Your husband can write so well! Thanks for sharing with us :) Mother is so precious to us. I thank God for a wonderful and loving mother. Happy Mother's Day to you! Take care and have a blessed Lord's day and week ahead!

Warm regards,
Nancie

May 9, 2010 at 1:33 AM  
Blogger Tonya said...

That was really nice! Happy Mother's Day! :-)

May 9, 2010 at 4:02 PM  
Blogger elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Food for great thought, Wendy. I honored my mother this week by taking the one hour trip to her house and taking her to lunch. Time is what she values the most, and I feel so fortunate that I have some time to give her and that she's still with me on this earth. Truly, I am who I am because she is who she is.

She's my anchor and my hero.

Now, too bad I didn't get to the this post prior to yesterday. I would have made sure everyone in my family (4 kids, 1 husband) read in:)!

peace~elaine

May 10, 2010 at 6:46 AM  
Blogger Katherine S. Cole said...

That was very interesting!
And thanks for your comment. I showed my mom, and it made her day! :) Hope you had a beautiful Mother's Day, too!

May 10, 2010 at 11:23 AM  
Blogger Linda B said...

Hi Wendy,
I am following you back from FF, thanks for visiting my blog and your words of encouragement. I am lookng forward to reading your posts. Have a blessed day!

May 10, 2010 at 11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Hi and welcome to my blog! Come on in and make yourself at home! I love connecting. Comments are the way to do that! Tell me about yourself. Please connect back, ok?
Blessings,
Wendy
If you would rather, my email address is faithsfirmfoundation(at)embarqmail(dot)com

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home