This Page

has been moved to new address

Food Friday: Can you tell me what would improve this recipe?

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Faith's Firm Foundation: Food Friday: Can you tell me what would improve this recipe?

Friday, September 24, 2010

Food Friday: Can you tell me what would improve this recipe?

As promised, here is the recipe for the dessert that Kelsey served at her Girls Prayer Gathering on Sunday.  I have to be honest, though:  Kelsey and I didn't think this was that great.  I'm not sure why.  Neither of us absolutely loves gingerbread--that could be why.  Everyone at Kelsey's gathering told us it tasted wonderful and raved about it!  But both of us thought it wasn't the greatest.  So, I'm curious what you think.  Kelsey didn't even want me to share the recipe! But, I am sharing it because the recipe was requested, and I said I would post it, and because a lot of you have way more experience than I do, and I wonder if you will be able to see instantly what would improve it. Or will you try it and let me know what you think?  Here are two thoughts I had that I think would possibly make it taste even better:  if you use a sweeter apple, and/or possibly reduce the amount of molasses. Serving it with vanilla ice cream was a necessity!  It mellowed it and the sweetness and smoothness of the ice cream tasted really good with it.  So, if you make this cobbler or end up tweeking the recipe and think it tastes much better, please let me know!

Apple Gingerbread Cobbler

Serves: 8

Ingredients:

4 medium tart apples, peeled and sliced
1 cup water
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 egg
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup molasses
2 Tbsp canola oil
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp each baking powder, baking soda and ground ginger
1/4 tsp each salt and ground nutmeg
2 tsp cornstarch
1 Tbsp cold water

Directions:

  • In a saucepan, combine the apples, water, brown sugar, lemon juice and cinnamon.
  • Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until apples are tender.
  • Remove from the heat and set aside.
  • In a bowl, beat the egg, sugar, buttermilk, molasses and oil.
  • Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, salt and nutmeg; Stir into buttermilk just until combined.
  • Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into apple mixture.
  • Pour apple mixture into 8-inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray.
  • Spread gingerbread mixture over apples.
  • Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the topping comes out clean.
Enjoy!

post signature


Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger the W. family said...

Hello Mrs. Gunn!
Well without tasting it and without making it my only idea is that caramels would be yummy in it! OR serve it with a yummy warm caramel sauce?!?! I don't know, it's just a thought! I guess I'm in the 'caramel kick' right now! :)
How are you all doing these days??
I'm really enjoying the Autumn colors outside!
Blessings~
~Ana

September 27, 2010 at 2:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Hi and welcome to my blog! Come on in and make yourself at home! I love connecting. Comments are the way to do that! Tell me about yourself. Please connect back, ok?
Blessings,
Wendy
If you would rather, my email address is faithsfirmfoundation(at)embarqmail(dot)com

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home