This Page

has been moved to new address

Mondays Are G.R.E.A.T.!

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Faith's Firm Foundation: Mondays Are G.R.E.A.T.!

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mondays Are G.R.E.A.T.!






G.R.E.A.T. = Glad Rejoicing Encouraged And Thankful!)
This old brain and emotional heart were overwhelmed this week. Decisions and planning, concerns for the future and thoughts of the past collided.  The week before Mother's Day, thinking about my mom and about being a mom brought many thoughts of the past. Concern for the future came from contemplating my mom's age of 89 years, and worrying over the future work and marriage dreams of my children.  Shopping for carpet and hardwood flooring for the main level of our house and entertaining guests for dinner, overnight, and here for Home Church, all in one week, required innumerable decisions and thoughtful planning.

It all seems silly now. The Lord gave peace. The Lord will work it all out. But here is what I thought we were going to have to do in the space of the next 3 weeks: unload all the dressers, bookshelves, china and computer hutches, paint the living room, family room and one bedroom and completely empty out the rooms on our main floor (3 bedrooms, LR, FR, kitchen and eating area), take up the old carpet, prep for, pick out, buy and have installed new carpet and wood flooring. And then put everything back again.

I've looked forward to replacing our now-25-year-old carpeting and linoleum for years, yet when I thought about accomplishing it in 3 weeks time, and the major upheaval it would be to our home and family, it was easy to become overwhelmed. In light of the really serious problems which people face, it is truly nothing.   But, God knows me and is wondrously able to encourage and strengthen His children.  He knows just what we need.  He is gentle when we feel near our breaking point.

A bruised reed shall he not break, and the smoking flax shall he not quench. Isaiah 43:3
He is always there to lean on, guide and hold us up.
The help is there.
Everything we need.
We just have to go to Him.
Help is often found, for me, in prayer.  It's amazing, isn't it, that God allows us to speak to Him as though He were a human being. With our finite minds we are unable to think in any other way! Yet, He is not a human being.

He already knows everything that will happen in our lives. He is completely, absolutely in control of every circumstance and situation. He is so big that He can hold the whole galaxy in the palm of his Hand.

Yet, in Exodus 33:23 He is so gentle that He sees Moses' need and lovingly states that He's going to put Moses in a special place and cover his eyes with His hand and pass by and then tells Moses he will see "all my goodness pass before thee, and I will proclaim the name of the LORD before thee; and will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will show mercy on whom I will show mercy...


And I will take away mine hand, and thou shalt see my back parts:  but my face shall not be seen."
Because no one can see the face of God and live. It is completely incomprehensible that the God of all the Universe has "back parts," a "face" and "hands."  He's too big.  I stand in awe that a God this big condescends to talk to me. That He allows me to talk to Him.

In the middle of my overwhelmedness this past week I listened to a message by Elisabeth Elliot entitled, "A Quiet Heart Means Confidence in God." (You can listen to this message by going to the bottom of my blog, where you'll see the title Moving Messages. Then click Elisabeth Elliot, and when you get to the BlueLetterBible site, scroll down to "A Quiet Heart Means Confidence in God" and click to either stream or download. There are many messages to be found there.)

In this message, she quoted a prayer:


Lord, give to me a quiet heart
That does not ask to understand
But confident steps forward in the darkness
Guided by Thy Hand.
I often ask to understand. I don't like stepping forward in darkness. I don't like not knowing what's going to happen. God says, "Trust Me."

Elisabeth Elliot went on to state that in this world, physical quietness is impossible, but "it's always possible to keep a quiet heart. Quietness begins with a long, steady, earnest, sustained gaze at God Himself, at the life of Jesus."

I'm realizing the great need for us to keep a quiet heart.  I'm learning to keep my eyes on Him, and to trust. I'm learning to step forward in the darkness guided by His hand.










Mondays are G.R.E.A.T.!
(Glad Rejoicing Encouraged And Thankful!)


How did God encourage and strengthen you this week? Write a post (or comment) including a link back here to "Mondays Are G.R.E.A.T.!" Tell all your readers to link up, too, and then don't forget to link up your post below. Post a word, a Bible verse, or about anything the Lord did to strengthen and encourage you. No blog? No problem! Just post a comment!
post signature


Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Phyllis Sather said...

I'm sure you will face some challenges during remodeling - I don't know what they will be but I do know this - The Lord is faithful and will not give you more than you can handle - with HIM. I'll keep you in prayer.

May 9, 2011 at 2:23 PM  
Blogger Heather @ Simple Wives said...

I hope that your remodeling goes well! Last summer we tore apart our cabinets to repaint, add new hardware, all to spruce up. It took about 3 weeks as well...it WAS overwhelming...but the after product was well worth it.

Enjoyed reading your post!

May 9, 2011 at 3:56 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Thanks, Phyllis, you know I will need and appreciate your prayers. The packing has begun. I do know that the Lord will be faithful--He always is. I'm sure there's much character which He intends to build in me through this, for I have realized I am terribly lacking in certain areas. For instance, I can think of two character traits which I wonder if I will ever possess enough of: patience and flexibility:) I am grateful for the grace and mercy of the Lord.
Wendy

May 9, 2011 at 4:19 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Heather,
Your remodeling sounds like it was a big project. I would love to hear any tips you have for me! Any things that would make it easier?
Wendy

May 9, 2011 at 4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Hi and welcome to my blog! Come on in and make yourself at home! I love connecting. Comments are the way to do that! Tell me about yourself. Please connect back, ok?
Blessings,
Wendy
If you would rather, my email address is faithsfirmfoundation(at)embarqmail(dot)com

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home