This Page

has been moved to new address

The God of all Comfort

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Faith's Firm Foundation: The God of all Comfort

Friday, June 12, 2009

The God of all Comfort

It is of the LORD's mercies
that we are not consumed, because
his compassions fail not.
They are new every morning:
great is thy faithfulness.
Lamentations 3:22-23
These are very precious promises and words we can depend on. For the Lord is faithful to His Word. I have become aware this past year of the great comfort to be found in the Scriptures! I always knew that God would speak to me and direct me through them--that they were His thoughts and Truth.....but I have found in them a deep and abiding peace in the midst of uncertain times and circumstances. God comforts His children through His Word.

I also find great encouragement in singing hymns, especially during my quiet time with the Lord in the morning! I have at home a dilapidated copy of our church hymnal (it will open up and lay flat on the piano, which is very helpful especially for my kids who accompany the hymn-singing at church). I haven't memorized hundreds or thousands of hymns as Elisabeth Elliot says she did as a child, but phrases will repeat in my head through the day, which is very pleasant and helpful to my faith :)
Yesterday, the hymn "Count Your Blessings" kept running through my head! Here are the words:

"Are you ever burdened with a load of care?
Does the cross seem heavy you are called to bear?
Count your many blessings, every doubt will fly,
And you will be singing as the days go by.
Count your blessings, Name them one by one;
Count your blessings, see what God hath done;
Count your blessings, Name them one by one;
Count your many blessings,
See what God hath done."

It may not be that "every doubt" will immediately "fly away" or that you will feel like bursting into song, but the combination of applying the Truth of God's Word to the wounds of your heart, and thanking the Lord for His many blessings will eventually work as salve to your soul and healing to your heart.

One of my favorite hymns when I am discouraged is:

How Firm a Foundation ye saints of the Lord,
is laid for your faith in His excellent Word!
What more can He say than to you He hath said,
To you who for refuge to Jesus have fled?
"Fear not, I am with thee, O be not dismayed,
For I am thy God, I will still give thee aid;
I'll strengthen thee, help thee,
and cause thee to stand,
Upheld by My gracious, omnipotent hand."

"When through the deep waters I call thee to go,
The rivers of sorrow shall not overflow,
For I will be with thee, thy trials to bless,
And sanctify to thee thy deepest distress."
"The soul that on Jesus hath leaned for repose,
I will not, I will not desert to his foes;
That soul,
though all hell should endeavor to shake,
I'll never, no never, no never forsake!"


2 Corinthians 1:3-4

"Blessed be God,
even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
the Father of mercies,

and the God of all comfort;

Who comforteth us in all our tribulation,
that we may be able to
comfort them which are in any trouble,
by the comfort wherewith we ourselves
are comforted of God."

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Hi and welcome to my blog! Come on in and make yourself at home! I love connecting. Comments are the way to do that! Tell me about yourself. Please connect back, ok?
Blessings,
Wendy
If you would rather, my email address is faithsfirmfoundation(at)embarqmail(dot)com

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home