This Page

has been moved to new address

Swine Flu/gripe porcina

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Faith's Firm Foundation: Swine Flu/gripe porcina

Sunday, May 3, 2009

Swine Flu/gripe porcina

Perhaps you are tired of hearing about this, but I am musing on 1)why God has allowed this to come about--this "pandemic" of swine flu or "gripe porcina" (en espaƱol)? 2)Each year, thousands of people die from the flu--is this "different"? and 3)Can we find any "good" in it? Some thoughts that came to me as I thought about this were:

Would God be unjust if He chose to bring a major plague upon our world in judgment for sin? Does He still do that, as He did in the Old Testament? Do we want to find out? Why was this flu different, or worthy of media attention, in the first place? Forgetting about what it has become, I think one reason it brought media attention is that the media right now loves a story casting a shadow on Mexico. They like to "stir the pot" as my father used to say. And that pot is already pretty stirred up! Whether they deserve it or not is not the issue here.

Aside from all that, now that the "pandemic" is here, I'd like to ask a question about our response. Everyone's talking about our response on the physical level. What should we do physically, to keep our bodies healthy, and to maximize our living on this earth a while longer. I'd like to suggest that, as important as all that is, our spiritual lives and spiritual health are a bit more important, at least, in God's eyes, according to the Bible. What does God want us to learn from this--what is our response to be, from a spiritual standpoint? Is it possible that God wants us to wake up(!) To make us calloused Americans realize we are not self-sufficient, and in control (if we haven't realized it already!) Our lives are held in the Hand of an Omnipotent God Whom we should fear!

Do you realize a whole country basically "shut down" or was encouraged to do so, for 5 days? Even if Mexico acts on this in part, it causes a "braking" on the vehicle of the lives of Mexicans that should cause even the most hardened heart to at least sit up and take notice! Is it possible that God desires to use this in the heart of Mexico's people to cause them to turn to Jesus Christ, to cry out to Him for help, to realize their need of Him and cause reliance on Him--to turn to the Saviour and worship Him in Spirit and in Truth?

I pray that we will use this as an opportunity, we Christians first, to get on our knees and ask God to search our hearts and "see if there be any wicked way in me," and also as an opportunity for sharing the gospel with those who are lost, as it leads to conversation about life and death issues. I pray that it would cause us to pray for the other countries of the world, our neighbors, that this would lead them to humble self-examination and to confession of sins and to crying out to The Great Physician for healing and salvation.

Would God desire to use this to unite our world in humbly turning to Him for help and healing Who Alone has power to save?


A Psalm of David: Bow down thine ear, O LORD, hear me: for I am poor and needy. Preserve my soul; for I am holy: O thou my God, save thy servant that trusteth in thee. Be merciful unto me, O Lord: for I cry unto thee daily. Rejoice the soul of thy servant: for unto thee, O Lord, do I lift up my soul. For thou, Lord, art good, and ready to forgive; and plenteous in mercy unto all them that call upon thee. Give ear, O LORD, unto my prayer; and attend to the voice of my supplications. In the day of my trouble I will call upon thee: for thou wilt answer me. Among the gods there is none like unto thee, O Lord; neither are there any works like unto thy works. All nations whom thou hast made shall come and worship before thee, O Lord; and shall glorify thy name. For thou art great, and doest wondrous things: thou art God alone. Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name. I will praise thee, O Lord my God, with all my heart: and I will glorify thy name for evermore. For great is thy mercy toward me: and thou hast delivered my soul from the lowest hell. O God, the proud are risen against me, and the assemblies of violent men have sought after my soul; and have not set thee before them. But thou, O Lord, art a God full of compassion, and gracious, longsuffering, and plenteous in mercy and truth. O turn unto me, and have mercy upon me; give thy strength unto thy servant, and save the son of thine handmaid. Shew me a token for good; that they which hate me may see it, and be ashamed: because thou, LORD, hast holpen me, and comforted me.
(Psalms 86:1-17)


Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Hi and welcome to my blog! Come on in and make yourself at home! I love connecting. Comments are the way to do that! Tell me about yourself. Please connect back, ok?
Blessings,
Wendy
If you would rather, my email address is faithsfirmfoundation(at)embarqmail(dot)com

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home