This Page

has been moved to new address

Can I Get Out Of This Popularity Contest?

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Faith's Firm Foundation: Can I Get Out Of This Popularity Contest?

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Can I Get Out Of This Popularity Contest?

There's a really excellent series over at Faithful Bloggers on "How To Become an A-List Blogger"!  It's not what you might think. (Actually, I avoided it for a day, because I didn't want to feel depressed!) 

Here is a part of the comment I left on the post at Faithful Bloggers:

"Yes, I admit that at times I get downright depressed going to a Christian woman's blog and seeing her hundreds of followers, dozens of comments, and a blog post that I could have written (i.e. nothing particularly special) and I think, "Why?" "What am I doing 'wrong'?" I continually come back to the foundation of why I am blogging--It's God's Blog! I want to be His pen--the pen of a ready writer. (Psalm 45:1) I'm reminded of the prophets in the Old Testament, who said exactly what God told them, and were the most despised, lonely, unpopular guys on the block. I haven't cared about popularity, or let it bother me, for years (and I have *no* desire to return to high school!) so I will keep my focus on the Lord and leave the results to Him. I will prioritize according to His will and His Word (God, husband, family first). Fame and earthly glory are fleeting. 'A woman who fears the Lord shall be praised.'" Proverbs 31:30

Have you, like me, sometimes felt like you were in a "beauty pageant" or "popularity contest" of Christian women? Sometimes it's a competition for "Best Christian Woman Blogger" and you look at all their followers, and their "credits" and accolades: writing here, there and everywhere, and feel very small.  Sometimes reading blogs you feel in a competition for "Best Christian Wife and Mom" and you feel incompetent and out of your league. Maybe you have felt this way, like me, at times.  I know when I feel this way that I have my eyes on the wrong thing.  I know that I have gotten my eyes off of the Lord, and onto people and things.  God has made me *me*.  He didn't make me *you*.  *You* have gifts, talents, experiences, and a message that I can never have. Your relationship with the Lord and the journey that you have been on with Him in your life, and the story that He is writing through you is unique, and special. Because of all the things that make you uniquely *you*, He can touch the lives of those around you, in your "sphere of influence," through your life, beautifully, when you allow Him to be the "Hand in the glove of your life." And He can do the same with me, in my completely different "sphere of influence," because He is the God who has no problem making every single snowflake different, unique and gloriously beautiful in its own way.

"Favor is deceitful, and beauty is vain:
but a woman that feareth the Lord, she shall be praised.
give her of the fruit of her hands; ad let her own works praise her in the gates."
Proverbs 31:30-31

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Denise said...

You are amazingly beautiful, just as you are.

February 3, 2010 at 4:59 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Thank you, Denise. I see your beautiful heart every time I read what you've written. I like your snowflake. I am thinking of you and praying for you.
Wendy

February 3, 2010 at 6:37 PM  
Blogger Kela said...

Wendy, you make me smile. Smile with the knowing of what you're speaking about.
I've felt "less than" before and then I have to shake myself and realize that I'm not blogging "for" anyone other than my Father. He blesses me with the ability to share a story that's unique. As the same with every one else.

While accolades are nice, I'd never want them if it means I lose sight of my calling....being acceptable to God.

Be abundantly blessed :)

Kela

February 3, 2010 at 7:38 PM  
Blogger jenniferO said...

Your a true blessing to me! I consider you to be one of my "devotion" blogs. I learn from you and I'm blessed by you. Thank you! Don't let anything make you second guess yourself or ministry (both are God sent)!

February 3, 2010 at 8:59 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Oh, thank you, dear friends! Kela, I do feel abundantly blessed! I *love* your smile, so I'm glad I made you smile. Jennifer, wow, I'm honored to be considered one of your "devotion" blogs. (May the Lord's "message" come through without any "interference" from me.) Ahh, you guys are so special. Thank you for blessing me.
Wendy

February 3, 2010 at 10:28 PM  
Blogger Berean Wife said...

Wendy,

I have found for me it is better to not focus on my website for whether it is popular, awards or readership. They weren't the reasons for me to start the website and might get me distracted. If someone is interested in reading fine, but if not, I'll still continue on because I benefit from the effort.

Like you said we are all different but that is the way God designed us. When my younger children would say I wish you would do this like ____________, I always pointed out that the Lord planned me for them. "I'm the perfect mom for each of my children, not that I'm perfect, but God knew what they needed. That includes the good, the bad and the ugly." That doesn’t mean I don’t strive to do the best I can though.

Berean Wife

February 4, 2010 at 10:01 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

BW, you are so right "not to focus on my website whether it is popular, awards or readership". (Also, funny, I used to say exactly the same thing to *my* children--God chose their mother, knowing exactly the right one for them--He makes no mistakes:) God has made each of us, and it is important to accept our "design." Another idea I subscribe to is, "I'll focus on deepening the message and let God widen the ministry." (if He so chooses)
I'm reminded of this saying, too: "I will do my best, and leave the rest to God." Maybe cliches, but true, nonetheless. Thanks for your comments--I'm always blessed by your thoughts and words.
Have a great day!
Wendy

February 4, 2010 at 12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Hi and welcome to my blog! Come on in and make yourself at home! I love connecting. Comments are the way to do that! Tell me about yourself. Please connect back, ok?
Blessings,
Wendy
If you would rather, my email address is faithsfirmfoundation(at)embarqmail(dot)com

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home