This Page

has been moved to new address

Quotes on The Sovereignty of God

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Faith's Firm Foundation: Quotes on The Sovereignty of God

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Quotes on The Sovereignty of God

This week I've been talking about the Sovereignty of God. Here are some thought-provoking quotes which I found on the subject:



"The  Sovereignty of God
 is the biblical teaching that all things are under God's rule and control, and that nothing happens without His direction or permission, works not just some things but all things according to the counsel of His own will (see Ephesians 1:11). His purposes are all-inclusive and never thwarted (see Isaiah 46:11); nothing takes Him by surprise. The sovereignty of God is not merely that God has the power and right to govern all things, but that He does so, always and without exception. In other words, God is not merely sovereign de jure(in principle), but sovereign de facto (in practice)."




"When we grow careless of keeping our souls, then God recovers our taste of good things again by sharp crosses."
—Richard Sibbes



"As the wicked are hurt by the best things, so the godly are bettered by the worst."

—-William Jenkyn





"Divine sovereignty is not the sovereignty of a tyrannical Despot, but the exercised pleasure of One who is infinitely wise and good! Because God is infinitely wise He cannot err, and because He is infinitely righteous He will not do wrong. Here then is the preciousness of this truth. The mere fact itself that God's will is irresistible and irreversible fills me with fear, but once I realize that God wills only that which is good, my heart is made to rejoice."
-—Arthur W. Pink





"There are no evidence of being without God, since trials come from God. Job says, 'When He hath tried me.' He sees God in his afflictions. The devil actually wrought the trouble; but the Lord not only permitted it, but He had a design in it. Without the Divine concurrance, none of his afflictions could have happened. It was God that tried Job, and it is God that tries us. No trouble comes to us without Divine permission. All of the dogs of affliction are muzzled until God sets them free."
--Charles Haddon Spurgeon


post signature




Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Amy W. said...

Mrs. Gunn,
I have been reading a book by A. W. Pink called "The Sovereignty of God"! It is really good!
I am so grateful that God is sovereign!
I hope you are having a good day!
Blessings!
~Amy

January 13, 2011 at 9:30 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Amy,
I would love to borrow that book when you are done, if that would be alright. I knew he'd written it, but haven't seen it yet. I, too, am very grateful that such a Loving Heavenly Father is in control of everything.
Blessings,
Mrs. Gunn

January 13, 2011 at 11:03 AM  
Blogger Jami Balmet said...

Oh what great quotes! You gotta love Spurgeon!

Thank for these great quotes this week :)

January 13, 2011 at 5:15 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Jami,
Yeah, I always love Spurgeon's quotes. These quotes really made me think. I am in a place where I'm not taking for granted that I really do trust and think God is in control, but asking myself the tough questions, and trying to let God Grow my faith.
Wendy

January 13, 2011 at 8:51 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

Hmmm...the Sovereignty of God. It's one of God's character traits that is a double-edged sword for me, in some ways. I am highly comforted by the truthful FACT that God is ALWAYS in control. Nothing escapes His eye of watchful Love, all is held in His hand of careful Providence.

And yet, my FEELINGS struggle with yielding control to God (sounds sorta silly - He already has it - but I think you know what I mean!)

I suppose my prayer would be to yield my will to His in faith - knowing that He knows ALL things, has allowed them, and will work them together for my GOOD.

That's assurance - even the devil himself has no power apart from the Sovereignty of God.

GOD BLESS!

January 14, 2011 at 3:50 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Sharon,
Not silly at all. Yielding to God that control which I feel that I have, whether in reality or not, is a constant struggle. And when I am hurting, to draw nearer to the God I Who is in control and Whom I fear, when I know it is He Who is responsible for the situations in my life which I don't understand and find painful--this is sometimes difficult for me. Sometimes, too, when God is prescribing the remedy to my pain, the child in me does not want the "cure" which will make things better, because it will hurt in the short-term. And like that child, I want to lash out at the Loving Parent who confines me, and holds me still, so that He may help me. This is only one illustration of a vast number of situations in which I sometimes pull away from God, when He is the One I need to draw close to. He is omnipotent, and I do not always realize that He is also All-loving and All-wise, which I can never be. I think I know best.
(I don't know if any of that make sense.)
Wendy

January 14, 2011 at 11:41 PM  
Blogger Amy W. said...

Mrs. Gunn,
You can borrow it when I am done, but you actually might not need to! This morning, Mom found the book online for anyone to read! Here is the link: http://www.freegrace.net/library/pink/sovereignty/pink_sov_index.html
See what you think and for now I will assume you will not need to borrow my copy anymore.
Blessings!
~Amy

January 15, 2011 at 9:44 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Wow! Thanks, Amy! I will check it out. The more I think about the subject of God's Sovereignty, the more I think it comes down to my trusting God, and having faith in His Loving Omniscience. I must realize that I am very limited in my understanding--I am only human--He is God. I won't understand until I get to heaven, I have to trust Him. I am very grateful that He has proven Himself trustworthy. But when my world is "shaken" I need to run to Him, and not away from Him, and not think I am even capable of reasoning everything out myself. And I MUST pray.
Mrs. Gunn

January 15, 2011 at 10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Hi and welcome to my blog! Come on in and make yourself at home! I love connecting. Comments are the way to do that! Tell me about yourself. Please connect back, ok?
Blessings,
Wendy
If you would rather, my email address is faithsfirmfoundation(at)embarqmail(dot)com

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home