This Page

has been moved to new address

4th "Word of the Week": Infamous

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Faith's Firm Foundation: 4th "Word of the Week": Infamous

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

4th "Word of the Week": Infamous

I've been having so much trouble with formatting this weekly theme, that I am contemplating quitting.


After typing that sentence, you won't believe what just happened.  After deciding I wouldn't quit, and typing this whole thing in, and being so frustrated that it took so long(!)  I deleted what I thought were the drafts of the post, got up to go finish making supper, and after supper came back just now to find that I accidently DELETED THE POST!!!  I have never done that before.


After screaming at the top of my lungs, and saying, "I cannot BELIEVE I did that!" about 6 times, (it took me about 3 hours to get that thing to work) I went about finding a way to get it back.  And, Praise the Lord, there are people out there who know how to help you in situations like this.  So, I'm going to share what I just found out with you, so that you will be prepared if this should ever happen to you!


If you ever delete a post, make sure you're on the same computer that you were on when you did the post, go to a new tab, and just hit CTRL-H (to go to the History of where you've been) and click on the line where the post was still there last (this may take a few tries to find it, so don't give up) and then click to continue editing it, or paste it into a new post from the View mode.  I found mine under the Publish Status, because I had clicked to Publish, before I deleted it! Then I was able to click Edit and keep on going.


Wow!  What an experience!  Good thing it wasn't anything more important than the Word of the Week, or I may have...well, who knows what I might have done.  Thank you, Lord! And thank you, Peter! for the valuable information. If this method doesn't help you, click on his link for other methods to try.


Ok, so now you know one more thing about me--I'm a drama queen.  Enough drama for one night.   I will press on!  And, now, for the Word of the Week!


Here is a different kind of word, with an extremely negative connotation.  Perhaps you've heard it used wrongly, or used it yourself, without thinking, to mean something quite the opposite.  It is a word that is easy to confuse with another, so I thought we'd clear up any confusion on the subject!


The word infamous is not the same as, or interchangeable with, the word "famous," though it is often misused in this way.



WORD OF THE WEEK

-------------------------------------------------------
THE 4th "WORD OF THE WEEK" IS:
infamous
-------------------------------------------------------
DEFINITION:  Having a reputation
of the worst kind

Websters 1828 Dictionary


IN'FAMOUS, a. [L. infamis; infamo, to defame; in and fama, fame.]

1. Of ill report, emphatically; having a reputation of the worst kind; publicly branded with odium for vice of guilt; base; scandalous; notoriously vile; used of persons; as an infamous liar; an infamous rake or gambler.

2. Odious; detestable; held in abhorrence; that renders a person infamous rake or gambler.

3. Branded with infamy by conviction of a crime. An infamous person cannot be a witness.

Merriam-Webster Dictionary
in·fa·mous

adj \ˈin-fə-məs\

Definition of INFAMOUS
1   : having a reputation of the worst kind : notoriously evil infamous traitor

2   : causing or bringing infamy : disgraceful infamous crime

3   : convicted of an offense bringing infamy

— in·fa·mous·ly adverb

Related to INFAMOUS



To see a "Word of the Week" from the past, click on the link.


I hope you have never ever deleted one of your posts or YOUR WHOLE BLOG, but tell me about it, if you have, so I will feel better, ok?
post signature


Labels: , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Jessica Kramasz said...

Everytime I hear that word I think of the movie "The Three Amigos" where they get a telegram asking for help with the "infamous El Guapo" and they think infamous means "more than famous". They travel to mexico thinking they are going to meet a star, only to find out that the villagers are actually expecting them to fight a villain. Too funny.

I usually write my posts in Word and save them before pasting into Blogger, since blogger has eaten a few of my posts too. I was able to recover one using the method you used, but one simply vanished.

February 23, 2011 at 12:25 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Jessica,
Great illustration of "infamous."

Unfortunately, it was my own fault that my post was deleted, so I can't blame Blogger. Wise advice to save it in Word first. I've had some formatting issues, though, in the past with that method. I need to learn to hold loosely what can be taken away from me, and not set my heart or affections on it, giving it all to God, even simple little blog posts, trusting my All-wise Father with them.
Blessings,
Wendy

February 23, 2011 at 3:26 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

I have done some really dumb things on my computer. The worst was falling for a scam - ended up having to change all my credit cards. GRRRR...

OK, so infamous.

The first thing that came to my mind was a funny line from the movie, "Three Amigos." One guy says that the bad guy was infamous. One of the other guys says, "What does that mean?" It's explained - it means you're really famous - like "in" famous!

But truthfully, this word makes me think of criminals or really horrible events. President Roosevelt called December 7, 1941 - the day that Pearl Harbor was attacked - as a day that would live in infamy.

I want to do everything I can to avoid the infamous enemy of my soul - and rest in the power of the risen Lord!!

(Just now read the previous comment - so, I'm not the only Amigo fan, huh???)

GOD BLESS!

February 26, 2011 at 6:12 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Oh boy! I don't think I can beat having to change all my credit cards due to a scam! They must have been pretty devious to trick YOU!
Two of you thought of the same movie where the word "infamous" was misused in their funny plot line. Great minds think alike!
Satan's infamous deeds wreak havoc in this world, but he will not win. For that I am eternally grateful.
Wendy

February 27, 2011 at 11:12 PM  
Blogger trooppetrie said...

thank you for posting this. I have deleted more than once

March 1, 2011 at 8:10 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

I'm so glad you came over and I hope you're able to retrieve your post! If my horrible experience can help just one person, it will have been worth it all! (I'm sure everyone at some time or another deletes a post.....Right??)
Wanting to believe that:)
Wendy

March 1, 2011 at 9:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Hi and welcome to my blog! Come on in and make yourself at home! I love connecting. Comments are the way to do that! Tell me about yourself. Please connect back, ok?
Blessings,
Wendy
If you would rather, my email address is faithsfirmfoundation(at)embarqmail(dot)com

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home