This Page

has been moved to new address

What's Competing With God For Your Heart? Manage It (Victorious in Christ) Monday

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Faith's Firm Foundation: What's Competing With God For Your Heart? Manage It (Victorious in Christ) Monday

Sunday, March 20, 2011

What's Competing With God For Your Heart? Manage It (Victorious in Christ) Monday

Is there a competition for first place in your life between God and something else?  Have competing affections crept in?
Can't think of anything? Need suggestions?  Maybe blogging? Facebook? Twitter? Texting? Music? Romance novels? Food? Having house beautiful someday? Crafts? Your Etsy shop? Making money? Saving money? Being Super Mom?
Ouch.  Maybe I'm hitting a little too close to home?
Do you get it? Even something good can get between us and God!  Even my ministry FOR God can come between Him and me.





For the LORD thy God is
a consuming fire, even a jealous God.
Deuteronomy 4:24

"And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is,
Hear, O Israel;
The Lord our God is one Lord:

And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength:
this is the first commandment.
And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these."
Mark 12:29-31

If we love the Lord our God with all our heart, soul, mind and strength, He's not just first, there are no other gods.


Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
Exodus 20:3


The One True God is God the Father, Jesus the Son, and the Holy Spirit:  He is three in one: The Trinity.  
We are to have no other gods before Him.  This is the first of the Ten Commandments.



I don't want to let my love or affection for something or someone compete with God--what about you?  How can we tell if that's happening? What signs would indicate that something or someone is starting to compete with God in our life?



What Do People Do For, Or To, Their gods?
  • Worship them
  • Praise them with their words
  • Think about them
  • Praise them with their actions
  • Go to the House of their god, alone and with others (their families)
  • Bring gifts to them
  • Make one time, regular, or ritualistic sacrifices to them

    1. Sacrifice their time
    2. Sacrifice their money
    3. Sacrifice whatever is precious to them
ToniVC
  • Make requests of them
  • Make promises to them
  • Expect them to enact on their behalf
  • Attribute to them power, benevolence, and authority
  • Give them control, and authority to impact/affect  their lives
  • Give them their affections

Signs of Competing Affections:
These questions may also help us: 
1. Who or what do I delight in?
2. Who or what do I talk about?
3. Who or what do I look forward to being with; what do I dream about spending my time doing?
4. What do I daydream about?
5. What do I spend my money on?



Identifying Competing Affections
For me, one significant indicator is what I spend my time thinking about.  Remember when you fell in love? You thought about the one you loved all the time.  You were either thinking about the next time you would be together, or the last time you were together.


What's consuming your thoughts? Is anything competing with God for your affections?  Have you lost your first love for the Lord?
post signature

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Hi and welcome to my blog! Come on in and make yourself at home! I love connecting. Comments are the way to do that! Tell me about yourself. Please connect back, ok?
Blessings,
Wendy
If you would rather, my email address is faithsfirmfoundation(at)embarqmail(dot)com

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home