This Page

has been moved to new address

How We Homeschooled

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Faith's Firm Foundation: How We Homeschooled

Monday, May 9, 2011

How We Homeschooled



This post started out as a comment on another blogger's site, turned into a post and then became part of a theme!  "How I Homeschooled" and "How I Put My Own Curriculum Together" are subjects that you will begin to see more often here.  By the way, if you are thinking of Homeschooling, read this post on "How To Begin Homeschooling."


We used the library extensively in Homeschooling.  (But be discerning. Read my post and the links to find out more.)  It was at the core of our History-based curriculum (not purchased, but made by me).  We found excellent, twaddle-free books and read them together as a family.  I searched the Library website for the time period we were studying, then looked up real people who lived in that time period, did some research, and we read fascinating biographies about these people and the time they lived in.


Childhood of Famous Americans, Cornerstone of Freedom, and Landmark books are series that I would highly recommend.  Our public library system had many of these.  Remember to look for the old books.  Go to the search site of your library and find the category "series" and type in the name of the series.  One of our favorite authors was Augusta Stevenson, who wrote many books for Childhood of Famous Americans.


We also read many missionary biographies.  When I say "we" I mean our whole family.  We did quite a bit of "school reading" together as a family in the evenings.  Twaddle-free books will be interesting to all ages.  We always encouraged our children to do something with their hands while listening, whenever possible, (drawing, handwork, etc.), which often could be counted as school, as well.  I love doing two things at once, especially crossing off two school subjects for the day when no one knows they're doing even one!


We still read as a family, and my children are now 25 and 21.  A side benefit: Even though my husband didn't start out liking to read (his family didn't read growing up), he became a lover of books through our reading together over the years. He now asks for gift cards to cbd.com and Amazon.com at Christmas and birthdays in order to buy books, and keeps a running list of titles he wants to buy. Our reading started out being for Homeschooling, but reading aloud at night was a way to include Dad in our schooling.


Now, he is oftentimes the one suggesting in the evening, "Why don't we read together." This causes me to be on the lookout for great books which will "change our lives" for the better. Then when he wants to start a new book, we have excellent choices on hand!  Everyone in our family is an extremely avid reader. Trained, not born that way.
post signature

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Nancie said...

Hi Wendy,

Thanks for stopping by my blog. It's so good to hear from you again. Many thanks for your kind words of encouragements. Truly our God is so loving, so kind, so mighty and so powerful. He knows what is best for us and always work that which is best for us! His thoughts are higher than our thoughts. Praise Him!

So glad to read about your homeschooling. It is a blessing to be able to do so. And thank God that your family developed a love for reading! May God continue to bless your family as you seek Him together and serve Him together. Take care and have a very blessed week!

Warm regards,
Nancie

May 10, 2011 at 8:43 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Thanks, Nancie,
I appreciate your warm words and kind thoughts. You're an example to me of a pure heart, always giving thanks, and never a complaining spirit. God knows everything, and nothing takes Him by surprise. He is also all-loving and all-wise; though there are many circumstances around me which I don't understand, and I often don't know what I should do in response to situations and problems which people have, I know that I can trust my Loving Heavenly Father, and cast my burdens on Him. He will guide me, being very close, speaking in my ear and with a look, showing me what I should do. Sometimes I'm very fearful, but He always surrounds me with His peace. May we trust Him more, and fear not, but have courage.
Blessings,
Wendy

May 10, 2011 at 10:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Hi and welcome to my blog! Come on in and make yourself at home! I love connecting. Comments are the way to do that! Tell me about yourself. Please connect back, ok?
Blessings,
Wendy
If you would rather, my email address is faithsfirmfoundation(at)embarqmail(dot)com

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home