This Page

has been moved to new address

My Story: Spanking (Part 4)

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Faith's Firm Foundation: My Story: Spanking (Part 4)

Monday, June 6, 2011

My Story: Spanking (Part 4)


If you are visiting for the first time, or for more on this subject, I recommend you read the other posts in this series.  (Just click on the links.)
Spanking (Part 1)
Spanking (Part 2): Child-Training Advice from An Older Woman
Spanking (Part 3) 
One Percent Rebellion is Still Rebellion
I learned a lesson the hard way when my daughter was young.  Though I was a stay-at-home mom, I worked full-time and then some from home for the first year of my daughter's life.  Later, I became committed to being "just" a Homemaker, but then I struggled to keep my busy life of serving in our church from taking over.  We began Homeschooling when my daughter was about 2 years old.  Perhaps my busyness is why I didn't recognize my daughter's rebellion until she was 9 or 10 years old.  I didn't deal with the attitudes.


You would not have thought her a rebellious child.  But a child who's obedient to you 99% of the time, and rebels only 1% of the time still has a heart of rebellion.  They are choosing to rule their own lives, and when they don't agree with your decision, they rebel.  They just agree with you 99% of the time.


Crying, Hollering, Yelling
When my daughter was 9 or 10, and I recognized her rebellion, I disciplined her.  She would scream and cry at the top of her lungs when disciplined.  (A child’s crying loudly--hollering, wailing, yelling as though they're being killed--when being disciplined is a sign of rebellion.) She clenched her jaw, and stiffened, and would not submit to discipline.  A wise older woman instructed me to bind the enemy before ever beginning to discipline. (This is what I would pray, "Lord, please bind and rebuke Satan and his spirits in the Name of Jesus and by the power of His blood and resurrection.")


Put Aside Your Plans for the Day
My daughter was saved at an early age, and both of my children have a firm faith in Jesus Christ, but she needed to submit to our authority as placed there by God for her protection, provision and guidance.  When rebellion began rearing its ugly head when she was about 10 years old, I realized I could not let it go, and decided that when she was willfully disobedient, rebellious or sassy, I had to put aside any other plans for the day and spend whatever time was needed, privately in her room, administering the "rod and reproof." (Our "rod" was either a paint stick or a wooden spoon.)
photo by Aussiegall
The Process
I would ask her, "What did you do?"  (She needed to recognize her sin, admit and confess.)  Then, I would speak to her from the Word about her sin, pray for and with her,  give her plenty of opportunity for repentance and ask her if she was ready to admit and confess her sin, and begin by giving her one stroke on her thigh or bottom (with panties on).  I would continue increasing the strokes, one at a time, repeating the steps which included Scripture, and giving her another opportunity to repent, if she was not willing to humble herself and confess her sin.  Confession and repentance mean "agreeing with God about my sin."


Sometimes we got up to 20 strokes; maybe more.  During these times, I would cry, begging her to not harden her heart towards God and Scripture, grieving over her hard, stubborn heart and unwillingness to yield to God.  I would pray and ask God for forgiveness, and to show me if there were sins in my own life I hadn't confessed and turned from.  I would cry out to God on her behalf.  If she was still not repentant, eventually I would end the session, praying with her once more, and with deep sorrow tell her we were not done, but we were stopping.  I would have her read passages from her Bible alone in her room before she came out.  I would always emphasize God's heart towards sin, and the consequences, but that He is ready to forgive anyone who truly repents, and asks His forgiveness.


Shared Guilt
Over the years I have told this story to many young moms, especially ones with very young children, 3 and under.  I tell them, "Don't wait until your child is 10!  It's so much easier if you discipline the attitudes now."  If I can help any moms out there avoid this painful scenario for both you and your child, it is worth it.  Whenever I have told this story, my daughter has been right beside me sadly admitting, "Yes."  People can hardly believe she was ever that way.  They are astounded.  She tells them "how bad" she was, and readily admits her rebellion and pride.


I am guilty for not dealing with her heart attitude of stubborn pride, an independent spirit and rebellion when she was a very little girl.  We both suffered greatly for it.  The process was long and arduous.  It took a long time (I honestly don't remember how many days, or weeks or maybe even months, we repeated this scene.  It took hours each time.  But I would say that it was off and on for weeks or more).  It was an emotionally painful ordeal, but finally the Spirit effected a change in her heart, her hard heart was softened and she truly repented of her sin.


A Heart Submitted to God and to Her Parents
When she finally repented, there was no question whatsoever that God had worked.  We knew that God had won the victory.  Now we had the most sweet-spirited, submissive, happy little 10-year-old girl on the face of the earth!  She was obedient, desiring to please us and God.  Her heart was so open to the Lord, and she had a new desire for others to know Jesus.  Oh, joy!


My Plea to You, Dear Moms

Oh, how much pain we could have avoided if I had disciplined her when she was 3 years old (or 2, or 1 or even younger) for her attitudes.  Young moms, Do Not Wait--I implore you!


Do not spare the rod. The rod used appropriately very early in life (one mom I know flicks the legs of her babies with her finger when they won't lay still on the changing table) will bring peace to your home—and you won’t need to use the rod very much later on.  Always remember, you are obeying the Word of God.

"The rod and reproof give wisdom:
but a child left to himself bringeth his mother to shame."
Proverbs 29:15

"Correct thy son,
(which means chastise, discipline, punish, reprove, instruct)
and he shall give thee rest;
yea, he shall give delight unto thy soul."
Proverbs 29:17
post signature

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Rightthinker said...

Thank you so very much, once again, for an HONESTLY SCRIPTURAL post! I am so thankful for the rare few who profess the truth, such as you!

In our day of apostasy, it is SO much more acceptable to for mom's of little ones to choose "gentle discipline".

I can't tell you how many times I've been chastised (in the blog world) by mothers with children much younger than mine, that my method is wrong! Yet, my method is not my method at all, but rather, God's method...and, our six children have all been disciplined biblically from the start of rebellion. Sure, we've made mistakes, but our teenager is a submissive to Christ and parents young man, for which we give all the glory to God.

No, waiting is not good, nor is following the modern, untried, unproven methods of the young crowd..people who follow "Tim Kimmel", etc.

Our Christian radio station was recently fawning all over Tim Kimmel being in town to give a seminar. Yet, the very radio host who proclaims him to be wonderful, is the same lady who goes on and on about how tired she is with her two children...how they scream and yell, and etc. I just wonder when parents are going to open the Word of God to find answers, rather than find answers from so called "experts" who have no proof to their methods-only accusations for those who choose to raise their children according to Scripture.

Thank you for this post, and God Bless. I've followed your blog.

June 7, 2011 at 9:21 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Thank you, Andrea,
It's only by God's grace that I am able to say my children love the Lord and are walking with Him. We made many, many mistakes. But God is faithful to His Word, and we can rely on His truth and His help.

For our country and the world, we can only pray: for repentance, beginning with us as Christians. I have said it before, but, "Who are we looking to for leading and answers?" The answer to this question is critical, and will determine the future of our families, our churches, our country, and our world.

I've been praying while examining my heart that our family would be "doers of the Word and not hearers only" for only then will our house stand through the storms of life, which will inevitably come.
So grateful to know who wins in the end!
Thanks for your encouraging comment! I'm so glad to have you as a follower:)
Wendy

June 7, 2011 at 9:33 AM  
Blogger traceerose said...

Hi,

Thank-you so much for this, I really needed to hear this right now

June 7, 2011 at 11:36 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Traceerose,
I'm thankful we're not in this alone. God will help us to raise our children in the nurture and admonition of the Lord. We really need His help and wisdom, but He gladly gives it. I am so grateful for His grace and mercy to us, and that He restores the years the locusts have eaten.
May God get all the glory!

June 7, 2011 at 1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Hi and welcome to my blog! Come on in and make yourself at home! I love connecting. Comments are the way to do that! Tell me about yourself. Please connect back, ok?
Blessings,
Wendy
If you would rather, my email address is faithsfirmfoundation(at)embarqmail(dot)com

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home