This Page

has been moved to new address

Picky Eaters and a Recipe for Spinach Pesto Salad on Food Friday

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Faith's Firm Foundation: Picky Eaters and a Recipe for Spinach Pesto Salad on Food Friday

Friday, May 20, 2011

Picky Eaters and a Recipe for Spinach Pesto Salad on Food Friday

My friend Margie shared another marvelous recipe with me, that I want to pass on.  She always uses the freshest ingredients, which of course helps.   We were blessed to taste this great salad at a gathering a while back.  After one bite I knew I had to have the recipe!


I think I've mentioned before that I love spinach.  Growing up, I was a picky eater, and never would have tried spinach, but I have learned to like a lot of foods I never dreamed of eating as a child.


This prompts me to say, "Don't give up hope, moms!"  You know that picky eater that about drives you crazy every night, and who is making dinnertime a dragged-out test of wills?  And who you think will never live a normal life or even grow up to adulthood, if they don't stop being so picky?  Well, they may do just fine!


I had one of those.  My friend advised me to place an assortment of healthy foods on the table, keep the junk food out of the house, and let them choose the foods at the table that they will eat.  I got better at this with time and practice, but I still don't excel at it.  (You can insist they eat at least one small bite of that food that they don't want to try, but otherwise just let them eat.) She also advised me to make sure I wasn't filling my kids up with unhealthy sweets and snacks in between meals, and that they were getting enough exercise and fresh air to build up an appetite.


My son, who was a source of frustration to me as a child because of his extreme pickyness, and who was so thin that he was off the charts, is very fit and healthy now, and daily surprises me by what he has tried and likes!  He keeps on trying new things!  It's so encouraging!  (Peer influence is also a powerful thing.)  All that to say, don't give up hope.


But, I digress.  Here is the recipe!


Recipe for Spinach Pesto Salad
Serves: This varies depending on how much of each ingredient you use.


When Margie gave me the recipe, she said it was given to her with no amounts: You put the amount of each ingredient in that you want, to your taste--more of the ones you especially like.


Ingredients:

  • Baby Spinach
  • Grape Tomatoes
  • Sliced Black Olives
  • Fresh Grated Parmesan Cheese
  • Pasta, cooked

Dressing Ingredients:

  • Light olive oil
  • Red wine vinegar
  • Pesto (basil)
  • Salt
  • Granulated garlic

Directions:

  • Mix salad ingredients together.
  • Mix dressing ingredients together.
  • Put dressing on salad just before serving.

I haven't tried making this myself, yet, so let me know if you do, how it turns out, and any tips you have for me (also a photo would be great to see).
Enjoy!
post signature

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Denise said...

Sounds good my friend.

May 22, 2011 at 12:58 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Denise,
So good to see your comment! Hope you're doing well.
Blessings,
Wendy

May 22, 2011 at 7:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Hi and welcome to my blog! Come on in and make yourself at home! I love connecting. Comments are the way to do that! Tell me about yourself. Please connect back, ok?
Blessings,
Wendy
If you would rather, my email address is faithsfirmfoundation(at)embarqmail(dot)com

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home